#1 2019-04-30 17:25:09

huytergan

Having a problem about getting a .map file

Hi!

I’ve been doing a micro sitting project, already completed climate analysis and also got contour lines of a field from Google Earth. I need exactly to place wind turbins in the field and see array losses. How should I make it happen, I think I need .map extension file to make that happen, am I right? How can I get it? B/c I don’t have any. I thought my contour lines file would be .map extension, but it is not.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Furkan

#2 2019-05-02 10:57:13

Mark Kelly
WAsP team

Re: Having a problem about getting a .map file

If you wish to see the effect of the terrain, you need to use MapEditor to make a map.  It facilitates download of SRTM elevation data for most of the world, and can also import various data formats from e.g. GlobalMapper.  Note you will also need to digitize roughness-change contours, which are not typically given.  You can try e.g. the CORINE dataset, or use the Google-Earth image  (overlaid) to guide you in digitizing roughness-change contours. 

With kind regards,
--Dr. Mark Kelly
   Wind Energy Dept., Danish Technical University
  for WAsP support

Dr. Mark Kelly
WAsP Team,  Risø DTU

#3 2019-05-02 12:16:27

huytergan

I managed to download the map of a field where I wanna set it, by generating contour, I got contour lines with 10 meters distance in GlobalMapper, saved as .map file. After all of those, I tried to open it in Map Editor, and I got an error which I couldn’t understand, below I show you what it’s given;

“Could not open C:\Users.... .Reasons:
MyMap.OpenMapFromFile:
MyMap.MapReaderBody:Line#0, File Record#1
FileCom.GetData:
FileCom.GetData_Kernel:after reading 0 data items
Invalid floating point operation “

By the way I couldn’t able to upload some images here showing my stages to make it easier to understand, Is it possible to send you via e-mail if you need any more details about how it went wrong.

I appreciate,

Best regards,
Furkan

#4 2019-05-02 16:13:24

Mark Kelly
WAsP team

Hi Furkan,
are you sure that the GlobalMapper output is a WAsP .map file?

Dr. Mark Kelly
WAsP Team,  Risø DTU

#5 2019-05-02 16:20:49

huytergan

I’ve just saved it as .map by adding “.map” to its name since I couldn’t find .map type while saving. On the other hand, I also tried to export it but again couldn’t find .map extension. What should I choose over there?

#6 2019-05-03 15:04:03

Mark Kelly
WAsP team

Hi Furkan, you would need to look at the GlobalMapper documentation.

Dr. Mark Kelly
WAsP Team,  Risø DTU

Board footer