Vertical Wind profile

student

In WAsP, simply set the height to the desired value. If using a script, you can make a copy of the script and change the values inside the new script (which is a simple ASCII text file). This way you can change the maximum height and also the height step in the calculations.

The changed script should be saved in the standard WAsP scripts folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Wasp\Internal scripts\WAsP or similar) and will then show up in the 'Tools > Utility scripts' menu.
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Could you please give an idea about WAsP parameterization for forestry sites in order to extrapolate/interpolate wind speed vertically with high accuracy. My focus was on the Standard roughness lengths and honestly I appreciate if you explain what the numbers (highlighted) at the end “standard roughness length # 1” mean.

Thank you for your interest,
Best regards,
Selim
Selim posted a similar question at WAsP support, and I answered something like this:

Standard roughness lengths are used in the WAsP wind atlas, which contains wind climates for idealized flat terrain and uniform surface roughness. The wind atlas stores several of these solutions for a range of standard heights and standard surface roughness classes. Wind atlas data are used for interpolation, so you should not delete too many standard roughness values, e.g. you should keep a class with z0=0 if you want to model any water surface in your project domain. You can, however, gain extra accuracy by adding the turbine height to the collection of standard heights and thereby avoid interpolation.

The roughness for particular areas, like a forest, are specified in the roughness map, not in the wind atlas. You can download a note on WAsP modeling of forested sites from http://www.wasp.dk/Support/FAQ#forest

Regards,
Morten