"Could not open" error in Map Editor

sarah

Dear all,

I am trying to import a .XYZ roughness file in Map Editor. I have tried a direct import as well as converting it into a .MAP file in SAGA. I also downloaded the data as .GRD and tried converting it to .XYZ and to .MAP in SAGA and in GH WindFarmer. However, whatever I do I get the error "Could not open file. Reason: MyMap.OpenMapFile: Access violation at address 00492BBC in module "WAsPMapEditor10.exe". Read of address 0000013A."

I would be grateful for some help on this. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be and what I could do to solve it? The method works with other files. I therefore suspect it may be a problem with file size, resolution or something along these lines.
The 'XYZ format' is a bit confusing because the term is used for both vector and raster type data. WAsP and the Map Editor can only process vector data, so if your XYZ file contains raster (grid) roughness data, the procedure you use is not going to work.

AFAIK, there is no standard procedure for transforming raster (grid) land cover data to WAsP roughness maps, though I have seen some 'experimental' solutions to this. For elevation data it's much simpler because tools for contouring are readily available (SAGA GIS, Surfer, ArcGIS, etc.)