Wind Shear

Rae

Hello.

I am a very beginner of WENG.

So I would like to ask some questions.

I know that WENG could calculate Wind Shear.

As far as I know,

But In my opinion, WENG could not calculate horizontal wind shear

When I calculate wind shear, the wind shear of just one height was showed.

(I mean I have a 40m, 50m, 60m, 70m mean wind speed. I would like to calculate the wind shear corresponding of the whole of each height, I think I have to input just one height to calculate wind shear. right? That meaning is We could know wind shear only one height. right? If not, I would like to know about it..)

Thank you.

P.S If you have question, please let me know.
WEng estimates the shear exponent from calculations at just one height. The flow is modelled in Fourier space, so a convenient way to calculate fields of velocity gradients is to multiplying wave numbers with wave vectors and then do inverse FFT. You can get the full matrix of velocity gradients - from dU/dx to dW/dz - in this way.

Having found the velocity and velocity gradient fields, WEng is able to extract velocities and vertical gradients at any site and estimate shear parameters by the formula

alpha=dU/dz*z/U

Here, the gradient and velocity corresponds to the selected height. This alpha exponent is a good fit near the selected height. However, if the real profile is not an exact power law you will get slightly different alpha values if you select other calculation heights.