mesoscale (2009-08-13)

Old Forum Archivist

does WAsP applicable to calculate Wind Atlas meso scale (using wind climate data from NCEP & DEM SRTM)?

--------

Yes, there are people producing wind atlases from the NCAR/NCEP data using mesoscale models.

Have you looked at http://www.mesoscale.dk/?

--------

yes i have but no updated.

--------

can I use Wind Atlas's WAsP to develop mesoscale?

--------

Can you explain your question again? If you mean can WAsP serve as a mesoscale model, the answer is "no", but I guess you know that already.

--------

1. are there special software to develop mesoscale

2. is there any recommendation of literature or book which must be owned to make mesoscale

--------
  • 10 months later...
greetings,
1 .- during the calculation of WaSP is using the climate model KAMMP, internally?
2 .- I can make all the information required by the WaSP Lambert Conformal Conic projection?
3 .- In an area that lies between two UTM zones, how should I proceed?
  • 1 month later...
1) No, WAsP doesn't use the KAMM or any other mesoscale model internally. WAsP's flow model and model for roughness changes are microscale and only take the terrain within ten's of km into consideration.

2) This projection may be used by mesoscale models that model much larger areas of the earth, but is not used by WAsP, which only models smaller areas. WAsP uses metric and Cartesian maps, usually of the UTM type or similar.

3) You can use the zone that covers most of your area and then refer all coordinates and map information to this zone. Then the map is metric and Cartesian as it should be.

FYI, there are many mesoscale models around; WRF is one common example. To run such a model takes skilled staff and a fairly powerful cluster, so most WAsP users don't do this at all. What we do in the KAMM/WAsP methodology is to transform the mesoscale modelling results in each grid point into WAsP-compatible wind atlas data sets (*.lib files). These files can then be used to make predictions using WAsP.