Starting with WASP 8 (2008-10-23)

Old Forum Archivist

Hi,

I am a new user of WAsP v8 and I am a bit lost. I have two different projects to solve:

1) I have loads of data (4 million readings) from a met. station, in access. What do I have to do with this in order to create a valid .tab for WAsP? Which values are important...?

2) The other project I do not have measurements but I do have some results from a nearby wind farm (total mean speed,1&2 main directions(most frequent),1&2 frequency of main direction, 1$2 mean speed of main direction, max speed, direction max speed, weibull factors: A & K ......)

The question is: Is there a way of using some of these data instead of all the measurements? if it is, how?

Thank you very much,

Lucas

--------

It doesn't sound like you can use the readings from the wind farm, but the data from a met station should be OK. 4 million points? Is that 76 years worth of data? Or from multiple heights, or is the stride quite short?

From Access, you should dump them to a text file of some kind.I urge you to use ISO Date formats for the export, with four digit years and leading zeros, and I suggest using TAB as a delimiter.

With WAsP 8, you don't get the ClimateAnalyst program, but you can download it and use it from http://www.wasp.dk/Download/WAsP.html. Then you could use it to load and examine the data. Your WAsP 8 licence will not let you calculate a TAB file from these data, though.

WAsP 8 comes with the trusty old Observed Wind Climate Wizard program which you should be able to use to import the ASCII time series data and calcuate an OWC (Tab) file.

--------

Ok, so I can´t use the readings from the WindFarm! :(

The 4 million measurements correspond to bat. level, wind speed1, wind speed 2, wind direction1, wind direction2, and air temp. taken every 10 minutes for 5.5 years.

About the way of dumping te data on to a text file, could you please give me an example, i.e how many columns? what data in eac column, and what data in each line?

Do I have to make any previous calculations with an excell sheat?Like mean wind speed every so many hours or something like that?

Sorry, but as you can see I am totally new in this.

thank you so much,

Lucas

--------

So there are no time-stamps in your logger output? For simplicity, I suggest that you simply export windspeed1 and winddirection1 to a text file in two columns, separated by a space or tab. Then fire up the OWC wizard and start importing the data. Look in the WAsP 8 help file for instructions (Section: WAsP tools and more... The OWC Wizard.)

--------

HI,

I´ve tryed that and I think it works, but comparing with another result, the speeds are higher than what should be.

When I treat data to paste on to a .txt, which data should I be treating with, average, max, min, or sigma(I suppose that is desviation). I´ve used average, should I use minimum?

Thanks
--------

For WAsP energy predictions, you should be using the mean wind speed.

--------

Ok, I found the problem. The speed was scaled to E:0,1.

Now, next step: I have a map with .dxf extention. How do I convert it into a valid .map?

Thank you once again!!!

--------

I suggest that you open the WAsP help file and search for 'dxf'.

--------