Direct to WAsP Team (2006-01-25)

Old Forum Archivist

Hi, my I´m a young professor at technical university of Havana . Cuba. I´ve benn working with WAsP 8.2, along with the metheorological institute of Cuba, for to obtain the wind resource map of Cuba, I supose you´ve heard of it (Rolando Soltura). I must present next month the subject for my PhD. degree, and I want to know if a possible one might be the recalculation of some WAsP default parameters according Caribbean climathology, ´cause I´ve found some contradictions between WAsP results and microscale measurments using NRG systems, and the team thinks that might be caused, these contradictions, due to lack of accuracy of some defult parameters. So, the point is if you think that this subject is possible to be strong enough for a PhD.

Thanks

Andres

--------

Dear Andres,

greet Soltura from me! I've been there some years ago and gave a WAsP course.

To your question: I do not think it would be enough for a PhD to look at the tropical stability questions in WAsP. This is partly because WAsP only supports two parameters where to fiddle with the stability, one of which just needs to be lowered, and the other one is then a parameter of choice. The problem grows to four parameters, if you also look offshore. However, you need very good measurements in different heights, presumably with heat flux measurements (or at least temperature differences), and from a number of masts. Once you have that though, it would be enough for a journal paper (and quite interesting, I might add!), but hardly enough for a full PhD. There might be some more atmospheric research to be done with that kind of dataset, but I'm not the expert there.

For inspiration, Sven-Erik Gryning and I did a paper for the conference in Delft in 2004- w-ere we looked at the influence of the heat flux on WAsP. See the Literature part of this website for the paper (http://www.wasp.dk/Support/Literature.html). The short of the long is that within reasonable variation of the parameters, the profile of WAsP is changed only little.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Gregor

--------