Roughness digitization (2005-07-27)

Old Forum Archivist

Hello WAsP team & respected members,

I am Vinod from GEITC (Bangalore, India). Recently I did a roughness digitization of a topographical map for forests, water bodies & settlements. Becoz the map was quite big & especially the forested areas were quite small & fragmented (lying on a part of the map), it took a big time to digitize them all. My question is -

1. If I had opted to digitize the nearby lying fragmented forests altogether (in one shot) instead of doing them separately one-by-one, what % of deviation can I expect when I am to calculate my resource grid & hence the energy output ?

2. The *.map file (which contains height & roughness contours as well) exhibits the losing of roughness info when I load my WindPRO project everytime. So, I have to load the *.map file again. As a result, I converted *.map file into *.WPO format. Why does this happen ?

----------------

Thanks.

Vinod.
--------

For an area with a large number of small fragmented forest areas we usually recommend to treat the area as one large roughness area with an average roughness. This will be correct within a few per cent (wind speed prediction).

Regarding loading orographic and roughness maps in Windpro: I think that Windpro - contrary to WAsP - requires that orographic and roughness are always loaded separately. You will have to ask the Windpro people for the details.

--------