Inserting Resource grid file (WRG) in WAsP 11

I know this question has been asked before, I am a new user and just following the tutorials at the moment which are in the help content.

I have been given Raster files .*TFW & .*TIFF format and .*WRG files for a site, now I have opened them in OpenWind and I am able to run wind farm optimisation and other calculation, but I really want to learn WAsP11, is there a way to convert .WRG file into a format which WasP11 can accept.

Where can I find more tutorials, videos preferably.

many thanks
CranfieldUni student
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello,

Sorry that you've needed to wait a while for this reply.

WRG files are WAsP *outputs*. They are not something that WAsP can open. WRG stands for "WAsP Resource Grid". When WAsP had been used to calculate a resource grid, you can export the results to files of this format to use in downstream programs such as OpenWind and WindFarmer.

(This is actually a legacy export format which we support only for backward compatibility. WindFarmer now makes use of the WAsP calculation engine directly.)

So there is really no way to open a WRG in WAsP. What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to use the grid specification and re-perform the calculations, or do you want to use WAsP to visualise the results contained in the WRG?

Duncan.
Thank you for your response Duncan
Well I wanted to extract time history data of Observed wind climate and also use the grid specification and re-perform the calculations, as the site is based offshore in North Sea, its very difficult to start over. Is it possible to visualize the results contained in the WRG?

Are there any good tutorials somewhere online to learn this software in depth apart from paid courses.

Kind Regards
Harshal
cranfield Uni Msc - Renewable Energy Engineering
UK
The WAsP help file is pretty comprehensive, I think. There is a step-by-step tutorial to get you started, and a lot of material about how to use the software.

I'm still confused about what you're trying to achieve here.

If you just want to know the grid configuration, then download an older version of WAsP from the web site and on the tools menu, you'll find "Import from WAsP 7". This won't import the data, but you'll get the grid setup. There's no need to have a licence for the older version if you want to use it in that way.

To visualise the results in a WRG, use WindFarmer or OpenWind: these are the programs which use that type of file. You could extract individual grid maps from the WRG and display them in a mapping program, but that would be tedious unless you're a programmer.

The WRG does not contain any input data: just the results. The observed wind climate is not a time series: it's a statistical summary of one.

If you have only the resource grid and the location of the met station from which it was calculated, then you could try to run WAsP backwards to get an idea of what the OWC looked like. You would need some kind of map, of course, but that might be very simple to create if the whole story happens far offshore.

To do this, you would need to pretend that a node from the resource grid was an observation, and calculate a prediction for the met mast. Take one line of results from the WRG, and make it into a weibull-only TAB file. Add a new met station at the node location and wrg calculation height. Insert the 'TAB', and calculate a wind atlas. If you put a reference site on the actual met station location and calculate a predicted wind climate for it, then it should correspond closely to the original OWC which was used to calculate the WRG.

Sorry I can't help more. It sounds like you haven't been given the files you need to do WAsP calculations.