Friction velolocity and stabiliti functions

Mkevin

Dears,

I would be very happy in someone could help me to solve the problem: how WASP caclulate friction velocity? (from measurements or does it solve some equations?)
And second question how WASP calculates empirical stability correction function(or functions?) in order to correct wind profile from neutral conditions?
Does Wasp make some assumtions or also take into consideration measured gradient of Vertical component of velocity?

Thanks in advance for help!
Stability model: There is a four-page explanation in the European Wind Atlas (Troen and Petersen, 1989).

The following four parameters are taken into account. You can change their value in the project configuration.

Average heat flux over land. Default is -40 [Wm-2].
Average heat flux over water. Default is 15 [Wm-2].
Rms heat flux over land. Default is 100 [Wm-2].
Rms heat flux over water. Default is 30 [Wm-2].

There isn't really any place to input the "measured gradient of Vertical component of velocity".

Friction velocity: This is an intermediate result. It appears in the geostrophic drag law -- in its modified form in the stability model. So I guess you could say that this is where it's calculated. See same reference as above for more details.
Unfortunatelyy I don't have those four pages ;/

But, WASP has to calculate friction velocity somehow newertheless there is no place to put "measured gradient".

And what with empirical stability functions?
There are some assumtions in "Shear and stability in high met masts and how WASP treats it" but the content of the articel doesn't explain them ;/
I'd say the EWA is a pretty essential book to have on your shelf, so it might be a good idea to secure a copy (e.g. order on wasp.dk), or find someone who has one.

However, I have to say, it's a pity this technical information isn't included in the WAsP help manual. It really should be.