Reducing map file size

jfcorbett

Would you agree that in the course of normal use, it "never hurts" to do the following to a .map file:

1. Lines thinning using the most conservative precision available (just over 1 m)

2. Saying "Yes" to removing consequtive (sic) polyline points closer than 2.0 m upon opening a .map file. (Also, is this the same as Lines thinning with a 2.0 m precision?)

These two simple things take no time at all and can sometimes reduce file size dramatically if the original .map file is overly detailed.

I am also aware of the following filesize-reducing tactics, requiring careful consideration as well as more time and effort:
3. Clip map, perhaps in an ellipse
4. Slash and burn in the far field:
4a. Increase the height contour interval
4b. More agressive Lines thinning

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Jean-François
Partial answer to my own sub-question:
... is this the same as Lines thinning with a 2.0 m precision?)

No.

Lines thinning doesn't care how close or far consecutive points on a given line are from each other. It looks at how much the line will move laterally (i.e. perpendicular to its orientation) if points are removed (and/or moved?). For example, if three points in a given orography line are placed in a straight line, the middle point will be removed regardless of how long far it is from its two neighbouring points, because the resulting line segment will have moved exactly 0m relative to the previous line segments.
  • 1 month later...