How to use a very large and detailed vector Vector map?

WaspUser

Dear all,

I was using WASP for a complex terrain application.The topographic data that i have is very much detailed and sometimes the number of points exceeds the WASP limit and if it doesn't it is very time consuming while using the WASP map editor or the WASP10 package.

In order to solve this i was thinking of dividing the map in to a 5km by 5km grid putting the met station and wind turbine site approximately in the middle of the respective maps. I have generated the wind atlas using the vector map (where the met station is located) and exported it and used it as an input together with the vector map in which the wind turbine is located.
Now what i want to know is
1)if this approach is not correct(do i have to have both the predictor and predicted site in one map?) and 2)if i can calculate the Delta RIX value by subtracting one RIx form the other.

thank you in Advance for your replies
  • 1 month later...
1) This approach is correct in the sense that the predictor and predicted site(s) need not be in the same map (only within the same generalised or regional wind climate). So, you can have one map for the met. station (as a child of the wind atlas or met. station) and another map for the turbine sites (as a child of the project or wind farm). Two maps are allowed and even sometimes recommended, since the met. station map should reflect the measurement conditions (of the past) and the wind farm / resource grid map should reflect present and future conditions. With two maps you also have a dynamical wind atlas and don't need to worry about saving and inserting the wind atlas file.

2) with the two-map set-up described above, the delta RIX values are calculated immediately by WAsP.

Remember, that the maps should be bigger than 5 by 5 square km; there should be at least about 10 km of map around each site (predictor or predicted) and even more when it comes to roughness, if large roughness changes occur at some distance.