Digitising Automisation

Chazenharg

Hi Forum,

I have been trying for awhile to automate the digitising process. The British OS now can suppy shapefiles for, buildings, woodlands and water areas, which in WASP Editor 10 can now be loaded directly into the editor. Nice Addition btw.

I have two issues really:

1. In an attempt to further automate this process i have been working on a some calculations to estimate the roughness for each shapepolygon in ArgGIS. This will be present in the shapefile.dbf when I import it and was wondering if anyone can think of a good way to get the Editor to read/apply these roughness' automatically.

2. The first step would be ideal, however at the momement I am importing a load of unattritbuted polygons into the editor. As I can load the trees/water/buildings etc seperately I was planning to appy a constant roughness to all of the same roughness element/class and then edit specific polygons, to highlight particually large buildings for example. When i select the polygons I can only convert/edit/ the as height contours. It states that roughness countours cannot be edited in batch. Arg!. Does anyone know a way I can get around this issue.

I would appreciate any input at all as I am stuck!

Cheers

Charlie
  • 4 months later...
I am also annoyed at the fact that the roughness property cannot be edited for multiple lines at a time. This does prevents careless folks from doing things they do not understand and seriously messing up their maps, but it also prevents careful folks from doing things quickly and efficiently.

I would advise writing your own script/program that loads the .map text file, edits the roughness lengths (and any other line properties) as appropriate, and saves the result in a text .map file. I did this myself a few months ago using VBA.

Sorry if this is more daunting a task than you had hoped for!!
  • 1 month later...
Hey, I also had been facing these issues for a long time but I actually never knew on how to go about asking here at the forum. But now I am feeling there is no such accurate answer or solution for these issues. I hope to get it easy with the way that has been mentioned here.