Testers wanted: resource grid calculations on multiple processors

Duncan

WAsP is a single-threaded application which can use only one processor core.

For a few years, we've been getting occasional disappointed emails from users who find that their brand-new multiple-processor PC doesn't speed up the WAsP calculations. We have usually advised them to split the grid into several different workspaces and launch several instances of WAsP, which is not much fun.

In some future version of WAsP, we'll address this problem directly. Meanwhile, we decided to put together a little utility program which would do this split/calculate/recombine procedure automatically. The working name for this program is GridWhizz.

It seems to be working fairly well. Now we'd like to invite some users to help us with testing. Any volunteers? We'll take the first dozen or so people who express an interest.

Post a reply here, or email me.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Sorry for not getting to this sooner. But I just had a chance to try GridWhizz. I followed the directions in the email dated Aug 10. Choosing either Do All Steps or running through in stages, both prompted me to add a turbine. I did so, but still got an error, after which the program would not continue. FYI, my computer is running on WAsP 10, Windows 7, 64 bit, with the i5 2.4 GHz, which I believe is four processors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

Can you provide more details about the error? What is says. In which stage this error happened?

Cheers,
Niko

Sorry for not getting to this sooner. But I just had a chance to try GridWhizz. I followed the directions in the email dated Aug 10. Choosing either Do All Steps or running through in stages, both prompted me to add a turbine. I did so, but still got an error, after which the program would not continue. FYI, my computer is running on WAsP 10, Windows 7, 64 bit, with the i5 2.4 GHz, which I believe is four processors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.