Raw data for OWC Wizard (2005-12-13)

Greetings to everyone,

WAsP Help tells me about legitimate formats for OWC Wizard:

'Data can be separated by spaces or tabs or end of line

markers.' My datas are separated by tabs. Unfortunately,

OWC Wizard recognises even commas as separation marks.

This is not good, because I cannot input windspeed and

direction data, since theirs decimal points actually decimal

commas in my data file. Can I tune OWC Wizard somehow

to deal with decimal commas, or do you know an easy way

to convert commas to points in data files?

Thanks,

Viktor Gyurik
--------

Maybe I can help you...I had the same problem: we use NRG Symphonie Data Logger and I was in a similar case, because NRG Raw data default are "with commas" and not decimal points. You have to export your Raw Data in Txt Data, then you have to change in the Control Panel-Language Options-English, after that you have to import your Txt file with Excel and at the end you have to save it like a Txt File...I know it's a "monstrous" way, but it's the only way I found to solve my problem...OWC Wizard is not so flexible...Bye
--------

Yes, it's true. There's no way for the OWC Wizard to make use of raw data files which contain a 'non-period' (US/UK) decimal marker.

Rather than use Excel, you could just use a text editor program to do a find and replace to pre-process the data. I just tried using TextPad (www.textpad.com) with the standard sample file 'RawData.dat', and the replace took a fraction of a second. I guess that even a very large file would be quite quick to process.

The good news is that the upcoming release of the "WAsP Climate Analyst" program will provide a way around the limitations of the OWC Wizard. This new program is much more powerful than the Wizard, and has a very much more flexible way of importing data.
--------

Thank you Marco, thank you WAsP Team!

Marco's solution didn't work out for me unfortunately,

but this TextPad software solved the problem perfectly.

Happy New Year to all of you on this forum!

--------