Map Editor

ysga

Dear all.

I am trying to complete a project. I am wondering that did I prepare the map correctly?

Steps which I followed:
I downloaded a map from SRTM database. I entered coordinates, map extension and land roughness. As you know that when you download the map, you have only 2 roughness value; zero and the value which you entered when you preparing the map.
I digitized the map for to add new roughness areas according to land's real state (1 for city, zero for sea, 0,5 for suburbs etc.).

Is that all? Is my map ready to use in WAsP? Results are changing dramatically according to roughness areas, so I want to it properly.

I am using WAsP 11 by the way.

Best regards.

ysga.
Hello, in order to check whether the map is prepared correctly, one would basically need to see it.
But, lacking that, a quick check is to first make sure (in the main MapEditor window) that there are no dead-ends, cross-points, and especially no LFR errors. LFR (line-facing roughness) errors cause dramatic non-physical changes in the results; these errors occur when the map has ambiguous/inconsistent roughness lengths [z0] in some region, due to an area being bordered by z0-change lines having different z0.
Dear Mark Kelly.

I considered the errors which you wrote. There are no errors like that at the map editor.

So, I prepared the map which I mentioned at the first message. There are no errors. Is that all?

Best regards.

ysga.
Hi Ysga,
basically if your values of z_0 are all reasonable, and the contours are in the correct places then I would say that's all.
This is of course assuming that your map really does match the terrain (e.g. check satellite pictures or site visit), that you have not modified any WAsP parameters from their defaults.
But one can not definitely say that your map is "ok" without checking it.
with kind regards,
Hi Ysga,
basically if your values of z_0 are all reasonable, and the contours are in the correct places then I would say that's all.
This is of course assuming that your map really does match the terrain (e.g. check satellite pictures or site visit), that you have not modified any WAsP parameters from their defaults.
But one can not definitely say that your map is "ok" without checking it.
with kind regards,

Dear Mark Kelly.

I just wondered the procedure. So, the procedure is true. I hope that I could simulate the real land well too :)

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

ysga.