Map Editor Nodes / Cross Points / Dead Ends

seenu

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with Map Editor, could I please get some help with the following issues I face:

Issue #1: I have over 200 cross points in a SRTM 3-arc file. How do we remove them? I have tried right-clicking the map image file and editing the point, this tends to not yield the desired result.

Issue #2: Editing the points on the map image is quite cumbersome as the map image keeps refreshing, I've read elsewhere in the forum that disabling the consistency checks will resolve this, but this has not worked in our case.

Issue #3: I receive the following warnings when I open a SRTM 3-arc .map file and my responses for these warnings are typed in inverted commas. Could you please help identify if they are critical issues?

a) Consecutive points in polylines/polygons closer than a horizontal resolution of 2.0m encountered. Do you want such repeated points to be removed as the map file is opened?

"YES"

//If we respond "NO", the number of dead ends seem to decrease with no effect on cross points and error b) does not show up but error 'c' does.//

b)Contour #85065
Convert single point to spotheight-circle?

"ALL"

c) Curves with missing or invalid height/roughness properties encountered. Use manual editing in the display window or the Menu change options to supply valid properties.

Is there a way to identify where the curves with missing height/roughness properties are on the map image? And how would we supply valid properties for these curves--would it be right click-->edit point properties?

Finally, I've read elsewhere in the forum that the SRTM imported data may be incomplete and need to be supplemented by user-fed roughness classes. I imported the kml file created from google earth, saved this as a '.map' file and used the add and replace function to overlay this over the SRTM generated map. This method after a lengthy processing time (about 3 hours) leads to the google earth created data not being present. Could I please check whether I have done something incorrectly? How can I add these two maps--one from SRTM and the other that we marked on Google Earth to be used in tandem in the maps editor?

Thanks in advance!

PS: The SRTM data is from the version 2_1 3-arc files.
  • 4 months later...
Issue #1: Sorted, I guess. I removed few polygons from the kml file (especially the borders) so there are not many cross points.

Issue #2: Problem not solved. But since the cross points and nodes are less, the map image refreshing is not a big deal.

Issue #3: Would really appreciate if you could assure that those warnings are handled correctly by me.

Last issue:
Add and replace function did not work when I tried to combine KML file and the SRTM file. So I converted the KML file as a standard map file. Then added that file to the SRTM file. And simply saved it.

Oh I have reduced the SRTM map size. So the process is faster.

New doubts:

I have digitalized the map in GE (drawing polygons - the terrain was disabled) and created a KML file. I have fed roughness info to the downloaded KML file - after converting it to a standard map file.

My issue is, the polygons do not contain orography information (assuming since the terrain is disabled while drawing those polygons).

So my question is, should I enable terrains while drawing those polygons on GE? Or no need?