Adding two maps together from two different UTM Zones

Phil

Hi there,

I have two mapped areas I am trying to add together in Map Editor 11.3.2.360. Each map originates from the SRTM data set and I want to create one map from the two for use in WAsP. I have done two maps to remove unnecessary detail between the two areas that would have taken a lot of memory to present in WAsP. One map has the met station and the other the area of interest for modelling. The areas are from different but neighbouring UTM zones, one is zone 60 and the other is 59. Both are in H, so 50H and 60H zones. The 59H map is on the eastern side of the zone and the 60H map is on the western side of the zone. The centres of each map at are of interest are 53km apart 'as the crow flies'.

When I add one map to the other, the coordinates of the added map go to the location within the zone I am adding to. That is, the coordinates from 60H are transposed into the 59H zone and so the map is not correct. How do I include the zone of the map I am adding, to the adding process so it is properly located in the final map?

Cheers,

Phil
I have used the 'work-around' of transforming the 60H zone map into a 59H zone map. It has slightly skewed the map but nothing I wasn't expecting. The contours in the slight overlap once added together have matched so I am good with that. It will do as a first prospect map.

I would still like to know if there is a way of adding two maps from different UTM Zones together beside what I have done. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Phil
Hi Phil, you have done exactly what I would have done - and what can be done for the moment. Your implicit suggestion is of course very relevant: the ability to just add two maps with different (neighboring) projections, leaving it completely to the Map Editor, automatically, to perform the necessary projection transformation of one of the added map. So thank you for this suggestion!
We will write it down as a "Feature Request" in our priority list.

Ole Rathmann.