Automize TAB file generation

vob

Hi,

I'd like to know if there's a way to automize calls to the OWC wizard.

I frequently have to create TAB files for monthly time series, and generating these by clicking through the OWC wizard 12 times in a row is really annoying. Importing all 12 files into the Climate Analyst and then generating results and exporting the result for each of these 12 data sets individually is no less tedious.

I'd really appreciate if there were a way to call the OWC wizard via a VBA script or similar from Wasp (preferred), or to manage the import and result generation in the Climate Analyst. Or is there any other tool that can be used instead to generate TAB files in an automatic way, perhaps directly from a Windows batch file?

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

I believe there is a way to make this easier for you. You could try using Climate Analyst 3 (which is still in beta, though) to import data and make your tab files. You can import your data as you get it, adding to the project, and you can select the data timerange you want to use when creating the Omwc (Observed mean wind climate) and export them as tab files.

Climate analyst 3 remembers the parameters you used to import the first batch of files and suggests the same configuration when you later append more data to your project.

In Climate Analyst 3 we have removed the import protocol bit making importing files a lot easier.
You can read more about Climate Analyst 3 and download it from here: http://www.wasptechnical.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?id=786

If this doesn't work I can try and create a vba sample in Excel which reads a file, generates a omwc and exports it as a tab file.

Best regards,
Matti
Thanks, Matti, for your quick response.

Unfortunately, even CA3 does not seem to be the thing I am looking for, as it still seems to require several manual steps to open and select each of the required files and start the TAB/owc generation. If you have to do that 12 or more data files in a row you quickly start to loose concentration and make errors...

That's why I'm still loking for a script based solution, which then can either loop through the files in a particular directory or reads the file names from a list. I really appreciate your offer to set up a sample VBA script to be used from Excel. Unfortunately I made a typo in my first posting: it should have read VBS instead of VBA - I don't have a developer's license, so your proposed Excel VBA script will probably not be able to call the OWC, will it?

But if there's a way to start the OWC via VBS I would be grateful for some hints how to set this up properly. Thanks!
Hello Vob,

Sorry to hear WaCA 3 couldn't help you there. You were able to read the files into WaCA ok ? I have to have a chat with within our team to see if there is a way we could improve the WaCA to support this use-case better.

The Climate Analyst is free and does not require developer license, so VBA script should work ok.

Let me see what I can come up with. I'll try to create an example for you today.

Cheers,
Matti