WindRose Weighting With Distance

Steve#5

Hi guys,
I have notice that WAsP 10 comes with the lib interpolator tool which allows the user to create distance weighted wind roses based on 3 or less references.

Instead of using the wind atlas (.lib) at metmast location I was hoping to weight the wind rose computed at site location by WAsP.
In order to do this I was going to import the lib files for every metmast, see the computed weight function, record it and use it with the windroses calculated by WAsP at turbine location.

The issue is I am not able to extract a lib file at turbine location

Is there any way for doing it?
Thanks
Ste
Steve,

I'm not sure that I understand yet what you're trying to do here. Are you planning to use multiple wind atlases to calculate predicted wind climates (PWCs) for the turbine location, and then apply distance weights to these PWCs to get some kind of weighted average PWC for the site?

There are two issues.

First is the 'WAsP-ology' question. Perhaps one of the scientists will clarify this. I'm not really qualified to advise, but I think that this approach is not recommended. I've heard people discussing several times the question of what should be interpolated and the answer always seems to be the generalised wind climate, not the site predictions.

The second question is how to do it if you really want to. You can't extract a lib file at the turbine location: there's no such entity. The Turbine Site window has a 'Wind' results tab. You can copy all the results data into the clipboard for each lib prediction, and then assemble the data into Excel. This would give you one predicted wind climate rose from each lib. There's no tool available as part of WAsP to perform an interpolation of these data, so you would need to devise your own method.

Hope that's helpful,

Duncan.