CFD tiles for a remote reference site?

Phil

Hello,

I am just setting out a WAsP workspace ready to run a CFD analysis and I have a quick question regarding what the tiles need to cover. In all the examples I see for setting up the CFD tiles in WAsP CFD, the tiles obviously need to cover all the turbines over the windfarm area, but the reference station has a tile as well.

Is this reference site tile necessary? I cannot find any reference in the help files or any of the literature I have found stating I need to send in data related to the reference site. I am just trying to economise on both use of tiles and internet bandwidth. I am not interested in the AEP for the reference site as I am using a reference site outside of the windfarm area. No point in sending in a tile request if I don't need to.

Please advise, and I will either omit or amend a tile as necessary to my request.

Regards,

Phil

Edit: Sorry, I was meaning the Met. Station, not reference site. Please read all "reference site" above as "Met Station".
Hi Phil,

The WAsP scientists are strongly recommending that IBZ and CFD calculations should not be mixed together.

I'm guessing that maybe your met. station is in non-complex terrain which is fine for the traditional WAsP model (IBZ), but that your turbines are in more complex terrain for which CFD calculations might be recommended.

In such a case it seems like you might be able to run an IBZ calculation to generate the generalised wind climate (LIB), and then apply this LIB to the turbines using CFD flow model corrections.

But the scientists are very clear that you should not do this. We even considered making it impossible in the software. You can actually set up your project that way if you want, but there is a warning symbol added to the wind atlas if you do.

HTH, Duncan.

PS. If your met. station is in complex terrain, then using CFD to calculate the flow corrections is a no-brainer. I would actually suggest doing the met station tile first and comparing the IBZ and CFD results for the site. You can send up the turbine site tiles for calculation later.