SRTM import error

Hello,

I am trying to use the SRTM import tool, but it gives me an invalid URL address error. Could you please confirm which URL should be used for the SRTM v2 database?

Also, could you please explain the process that should be used to import maps from the SRTM v3 database?

Thank you in advance

Unfortunately, the SRTM server at USGS (US geodetic service) now requires a personal account with a password before download. This is currently not supported in the WAsP Map Editor. We have our map server called GWA Elevation with similar data, and we suggest you use that until we have a better solution. The GWA Elevation data does not include roughness changes, so you need to add that information somehow, either by manual editing or by combining a roughness map downloaded from the GWA Roughness database. Sorry for this inconvenience. We hope to have a fix for the SRTM server in the future.

Hi Andreas, thanks for the reply. Provided i have an account at USGS, i can download their SRTM maps, which however are downloadable only in the following file types: BIL, DTED and GeoTIFF. Are these formats directly importable into WaSP? Or do they require manipulation via a third software? And if so, is there a free software which can do the job?

Thanks

Hi Filiberto, 
These formats cannot be imported directly by WAsP. Some people use the Surfer software that can import DTED. Surfer can export *.grd files or the vector lines that the Mao Editor can read. The free QGIS software can import GeoTIFF, but I don't have much experience with that.

Kind regards

Andreas