Turbine Type, Turbine Orientation Difference

ysga

Dear all.

As you know that there are 2 type of turbines; vertical and horizontal. The main difference between those turbines is to accept wind from various directions as far as I read a lot of articles (vertical ones accept wind from every direction but horizontal ones accept wind from only one direction which is oriented for (well, in general; esspecially when we think small wind turbines without yaw or similar mechanisms)).

As far as I understand, WAsP uses wind direction data too to calculate AEP of wind turbines (we load data to Climate Analyst). But I do not understand that how exaclty use it?

If I use VAWT, how can I specify turbine type? Theoritically, it accepts wind from every direction so wind direction would not be a problem.
If I use HAWT, how can I specify turbine type and turbine orientation? Let's assume, I oriented the turbine against the wind which is blown south. How can I orient it at the software? Theoritically, it accepts wind from one direction so wind direction would be a problem. We should orient the turbine according the wind direction to get more power.

Best regards.

ysga.
Dear ysga,

Horizontal axis wind turbines do of course also "accept" wind from all directions (because they are able to yaw/turn).

That aside, the starting point of the WASP analysis is a high-quality wind data set. Wind data should preferably be available as time-series of wind speed and wind direction.

The time-series data to be used in a wind climate analysis, should come with some additional information:
- name of data file(s)
- data period
- data format
- observation interval
- averaging period
- calm thresholds (for speed and direction, resp.)
- data discretisation (resolution)
- flag for missing data?
- direction relative to geographic or magnetic north

In WAsP, the wind analysis can be performed with the Climate Analyst tool (freeware). It includes a comprehensive help file. You can download the WAsP suite installer here:
http://www.wasp.dk/Download/WAsP12-Suite-Installer

Because the power output of a wind turbine is proportional to some power (> 1) of the wind speed, the precision requirements of wind speed statistics for energy assessments are higher than for most other purposes.

Let’s summarise and detail the demands to the data behind the observed wind climate. The quality concept is sub-divided here into accuracy, reliability and representativeness.

The first two points – accuracy and reliability – reflect that the sensors should be accurate and remain accurate over the duration of the measurement campaigns. This requires an O&M program if the measurement campaign is longer than 1-2 years. A very important part of performing measurements is the quality assurance (QA) of the data.

The representativeness of the data describes how well they can be expected to represent the wind climate at the predicted site. A high recovery rate of course has implications for the necessary instrumental, calibration and service quality. The data used in WAsP should always be seen in the context of the long-term wind climate at the site.

I recommend our WAsP course:
http://www.wasp.dk/courses-and-certification

Best regards,

Brian
Dear Brian Ohrbeck Hansen.

Possibly I could not express myself.

If we think about small wind turbines, some HAWTs do not have yaw or similar mechanisms. So, they can not change their orientation automatically.

I already used Climate Analyst for creating .omwc file from my wind speed / direction dataset. After that, I prepared a workspace for my case in WAsP 11 and used the .omwc file which I created via Climate Analyst. I have no problem about .omwc file actually.

Obviously this software designed for big wind turbines with yaw mechanism. Possibly, small wind turbines without yaw mechanisms have not been considered. I though that maybe I missed something, missed a setting or something like that but the software has not feature like that. We can not specify a turbine as a HAWT or VAWT.

Thanks for the course link but I am not in Denmark and I can not afford to go to Denmark. I can not afford even online course price (800€). Maybe you can consider to discount esspecially for students :)

Thanks for the answer.

Best regards.

ysga