Map Format for WAsP

Thanks to you both. I will email the techsupport.

Meantime, I tried to export map from database and I got Malaysia map. But I am getting this error when I tried to save the map.

Roughness inconsistencies. Nodes disabled. Dead ends check not performed. Cross points check disabled webs disabled LFR-consistecy check disabled
Apparently, when you got the Malaysia map it may have contained some roughness consistency errors. What I can see is that the "Nodes" consistency check was disabled, meaning that the Map Editor did not make any consistency check at all!
So, if you reopen the Malaysia map you should make sure that all consistency items are enabled (look in the menu point at the main window "Tools | Roughness consistency" and enable (check) All consistency items. Then you should see whether there are any consistency errors - and you should of course fix them if there are any. If/when there are no consistency errors, you should not get any warnings when you save the file. OK?

Ole Rathmann
  • 3 months later...
Okay, I am not sure if I got the concept right.

Generally people use both WAsP and WindPro to run the energy simulation.

I have been using WAsP - only. I used WAsP to download DEMs of SRTM. The only problem is the Map is not as comprehensive as it would be when you use both WindPro and WAsP.

My doubt is, is it must to use both WindPro and WAsP to run the simulations? Will it give more accurate results. Or WindPro just enables some comprehensive maps.

PS: I am sorry if you do not understand what I am trying to say. English is my 2nd language.
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi "kedx3mmn" - I have a feeling that I have already answered you - but anyhow!
You don't need to use BOTH WindPro and WAsP to run energy simulations, WAsP alone can do the job.

About the allowable size of maps: WAsP itself has no limitations regarding how large (comprehensive) a terrain map you use for the terrain around your wind farm. Normally we recommend 5km, or 10 km to be sure, in any direction from any of the turbines or the met-mast. If the met mast is located a long distance (say 20 km) from the wind farm, the met mast could have its own map, say 10x10 km, or better: 20x20 km with the met-mast location in the centre.
The Map Editor allows you to get a DEM-map from SRTM-data at a size required by the WAsP project - the Map Editor itself will not restrict the size of the DEM-map.
/Ole Rathmann
  • 5 months later...
Dear Dr. Ole Rathmann

Thank you for your prompt clarification. and apologies for not acknowledging.

One more question. I am working on WCA. Some of the files are said to be not importable. I thoroughly checked my files and they are not any different from other year data files. Yet, some years are not importable. Is there anyway we could solve it.

Some files are not loading at all. It gives some error and WCA crashes. May I know what would be the reason for such errors?

Also if I get OWC files. Can I import them into WAsP 11 and do regular simulations?

Is there anyway we could get the object detail from Google Earth. I tried so many times but the KMZ files are not loading into WAsP.

I am so sorry for asking so many questions in a thread.

Desperately need some explanations.

Thank you very much.
Hello Kedx3mmm,

Thanks for your questions. It seems you have three separate issues here, and in fact none of them relate to the Map Editor.

I can immediately clarify that if you get an OWC file, you can import them into WAsP and use them for wind resource assessment work.

In the other two cases, we need more information and the problem seem specific to you. I will raise items in the support system and invite you to continue the discussion there. You will get some email messages about this.

Duncan.
Extremely sorry for posting under the wrong thread. I was thinking to have all discussion under a thread for easy reference. However, I did post the same question under WCA.

The output format (omwc) of Wind Climate Analyst did not work. So I tried to change to OWC format as you said and it worked. Thank you very much.

Some files are reported as "NOT IMPORTABLE!". However, using independent statistical software (STATA), I could not find consistency issues.

I will copy the other error message and post it soon.

Thank you once again.
  • 1 month later...
This issues were almost sorted. A couple of files were sent to be added to the WAsP bin. and since then it is working fine. Though it could not get OEWC for one station. Other than that, all is fine.

The issues were sorted within a couple of days. Thank you Team for all the quick fix.

You guys rock!