wind data

Dear WASP team,

It's my first time using WASP. I understand to make the simulation work I need get a set of data containing the speed and direction of wind for 1~3 years but I have problem with getting raw wind data. May I ask where do people get these data from? Thanks.

Regards,
GX
Dear GX,

Well, people normally find the wind data from actual observations from sites which are close to the places where they want to estimate the annual energy production. The type of data that you can gather "for free" depends on the location you want to perform your analysis. In any case, we at DTU Wind Energy have some online data http://veaonline.risoe.dk/rodeo/projectlistmap.aspx that you can explore but of course you can use it provide you it is applicable to your site. You can also find "simulated" data from mesoscale model runs or from Reanalysis. Some wind consultancies can sell you such data.
There is another possibility if you just want to "play" with WAsP and is to construct the data from a tab file (check the help to see how this is constructed).

Regards,
WAsP team