Wind speed deficit in wind farms

vob

Hi,

is there a way to get from WAsP the wind speed (or the wind speed deficit) at each turbine position in a wind farm?

The wake model should calculate the actual wind speed depending on the wind direction and the resulting wakes at each turbine position. So, for each turbine position there should be a matrix of wind speeds given the wind speed and direction of the free wind.

The question is if this information is calculated only internally during a wind farm caclulation or if this can be also extracted and exported for other uses?

Thanks and best regards
  • 8 months later...
I'd like to raise this issue again - we've already come across requests to report average wake affected wind speed and distributions (Weibull A, k) at each turbine position, and it would be great if this could be simply exported from Wasp.

If this is really not possible to extract from existing versions, I'd like to add this to the 'wish list' for upcoming releases.
Hi Vob,

Thanks. I have looked through our feature request backlog and we have planned for exactly this, but the process fell between two members of the team, and has been inactive.

Now I have re-started the process. Mostly, this was done, but we got stuck on a technical detail.

You should expect to see this in an 11.3 release in the next few months.

Best wishes, Duncan.
  • 3 months later...
Hello again Vob,

Well, we released 11.3 without this feature but we are planning 11.4 and we hope to put this in. Can you give us any more insight into your "other uses"? How would you take these numbers out and how would you use them afterwards?

Duncan.
  • 3 weeks later...
A little update.

We will use the 11.4 release to roll out a fix for offshore calculations, and we will not include any new wind farm calculations in the release. We still plan to put them into the next 11.5 release, which will likely be after the summer.

Duncan.
Hi Duncan,

thanks for keeping this issue on the list, even though it's a pity that it didn't make it into the next release. But if it will be in 11.5 this would still be appreciated :-)

One "other use" might be e.g. to use that matrix to roughly correct wind speed measurements for a wake affected met mast. But I'm sure that people will find even more ways of utilizing this information...

Thanks, and best regards,
vob
  • 3 years later...