.Wtg files

Server

Dear Wasp Team.

i have a .wtg file from Windpro, because i need some power curves that we cant find in Wasp support, like gamesa or acciona.

But now my probles is when i try to use, Wasp report me an error, i go to copy here.

Exception report produced at 2011-12-10 11:00:04

La variable de tipo Object o la variable de bloque With no está establecida raised at: 2011-12-10 10:59:56
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Message added: Could not load from WTG file
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Exception raised in: Rvea0050: cFileFilterWtg:LoadWtgFromFile
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Message added: Could not restore a wind turbine generator from file
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Exception raised in: Rvea0050:cWindTurbineGenerator:RestoreFromFile
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Message added: Failed to restore a wind climate generator from file
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Exception raised in: Rvea0050:WindTurbineGeneratorClass:RestoreInstanceFromFile
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Message added: Could not open the WTG data file
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Exception raised in: Rvea0134:cWindTurbineGenerator:OpenDataFile
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Message added: Could not insert a Wind turbine generator to the hierarchy
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Exception raised in: Rvea0134:cHierarchyInsertionFromFile:InsertFromFile
2011-12-10 10:59:56: Message added: There was a problem with the insertion
2011-12-10 10:59:57: Exception raised in: WAsP:cWorkspaceController:ExecuteHierarchyInsertion
Latest thread started in: Wiab0001:fInteractionPointQuestion:Form_QueryUnload

How i can use this WGT curves in Wasp?

My Best Regards
Both the WindPro and WAsP programs use the file extension *.wtg for files with Wind Turbine Generator information. Unfortunately they are not the same. The WAsP WTG file is in XML format whereas the WindPro WTG is binary and usualy longer. You can open the WindPro WTG file with the WindPro program and read the information, but I don't think there is an automatic way to convert it to WAsP format.

A few turbine manufactures have supplied ready-made WAsP WTG files for download at www.WAsP.dk/download/powercurves.aspx. If you cannot find data for your chosen turbine, or in the later stages of your project when precise information is a must, you have to contact the manufacturer.
  • 6 years later...
Hi! When I try to access the WAsP power curves, the link does not work anymore. Also, though there is an option to find it from the WAsP website, that also does not work.

Where can we find WAsP compatible *.WTG files? Or, even a blank file that will allow us to create our own? I have the contracted Power and Thrust curves, but do not know how to create the correct file format.
Hi LinkeshD,

You can create a WAsP WTG file by clicking on 'Tools| WAsP Turbine Editor' from the main menu inside WAsP.

I usually start by preparing a performance table inside Excel with three columns (speed, Power, Ct) and then copy this table (without headers) to clipboard. Back in the turbine editor I select the 'Enable Edit' option and adjust the 'Table size' to the number of data points. Then I enter the upper left cell of the empty table and paste the performance table from the clipboard. Next step is to edit the 'description' string, rotor diameter, hub height and air density. If multiple performance tables are available, I add them one by one and finally save the WTG file to disk.

Starting from WAsP 12 we can interpolate and extrapolate power performance tables to air densities at individual turbine sites. To reduce uncertainty it will be best if the starting point is a file with performance tables for air densities close to the local conditions.

Cheers,
Morten