Installing without network access

Hi,

I seem to be unable to install Wasp (9 or 10) when not connected to the company network. I get an error message saying something along the lines of 'network access not available: ' and then a network address.

I then log on and install but now I'm not able to use the program. It opens but then just sits there, busy and non-responding. This is a huge problem!

'EDIT' - I figured out that it needs access to a network drive that acts as 'my documents' folder when I'm on the network. Is it possible to change this location from somewhere in Wasp? I will not be able to use it off the network if I can't change this...

BR

Hans Peter
Wow. This doesn't sound good. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem before, though.

You have a network drive for My Documents. What happens to that when you are offline? Does some local folder become the My Documents folder?

I cannot understand why the program would become unresponsive in this case. It might be making a system call to that disconnected network folder, and be waiting for a response. But that would happen in any program (like Explorer) which tried to access the network folder, and eventually the wait should time out.

You could try a registry edit to work around the problem.

I suggest finding the key called

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Risoe National Laboratory\Wasp\Version 10\User settings\File broker\Paths

And deleting all values in that key. Also do the same with

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Risoe National Laboratory\Common\Paths

Then in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Risoe National Laboratory\Wasp\Version 10\User settings\File broker\Paths key, add a value called "Path for any file" and set this to some reasonable existing path.

The My Documents folder is only used as a fallback if WAsP can't find any other place to look for files. Setting this value explicitly should intercept that My Documents call, but I can't guarantee it.

Please, let me know how you get on. This sounds like some rare case which we have not designed for properly.

Duncan.
I honestly don't know how the system is set up. I'm currently waiting for an explantaion of this.

It seems that something does eventually time out, however, it takes anywhere between 10 and 15 minutes before the project opens and I can interact with the program.

I'll try your suggestions and let you know how they work out.

- HP